The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Feeding & Foods
 General Food Questions
 Maggots?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kazerella Posted - 25/02/2009 : 11:15:04
I've read in a few amphibian books that maggots and flies are suitable food for hardy frogs and toads, so I went to buy some yesterday.

Brought my new brood home and went on the net to find out how to keep them. Turns out there are many mixed opinions on many forums about feeding maggots. Most say don't do it, while others say it's fine as long as your pet isn't passing them out undigested.

What to do? What to do? Shall I try the toads on them and see what happens or not risk it? They are Square-marked toads so are suitably robust.

I want to wait until they turn to flies, as I know these are safe, but I've loads of these maggots so don't need them all to turn. (Imagine if they escaped )

Any advice, ideas welcomed
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Jain Posted - 21/03/2009 : 17:35:22
At least he's getting some action
Kazerella Posted - 19/03/2009 : 09:10:27
A few have hatched now, and Richard is loving the box. He keeps launching himself at it, so I think he's worked out there's food inside it so he's trying to get in. The flies don't look daft enough to leave it though. That one that did has been eaten
Kazerella Posted - 18/03/2009 : 13:21:48
At least one of the flies have hatched today. But I saw Richard with his beady eye on it, so hopefully it won't be there when I get home

I didn't see the unicorn thing though Paulusworm
Kazerella Posted - 11/03/2009 : 09:47:38
They are in the cold side, so about room temp. I would check and give you a more accurate reading, but I'm skiving at work. (Don't tell on me!)
Jain Posted - 10/03/2009 : 20:20:26
Cor... and I thought I had bags under my eyes!
Paulusworm Posted - 10/03/2009 : 17:26:50
Depends on the average ambient temperature that they are being exposed to and which species they are. Let me know a rough idea of the temperatures and I'll look it up for you.
Kazerella Posted - 10/03/2009 : 09:51:25
How long do they take to pupate Paul?

They've been in their cases for about a week now and have turned a dark reddy-brown colour now.
Paulusworm Posted - 09/03/2009 : 19:12:50
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Errrr! not the eyes

You asked .
Kazerella Posted - 09/03/2009 : 09:57:27
Errrr! not the eyes
Paulusworm Posted - 09/03/2009 : 06:25:21
quote:

Yeah get some sick photos up! We like decaying stuff

OK. Here's a pretty tame one from wiki (don't look if you are remotely squeamish):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myiasis

I have an academic paper also that will definately make any men that you know cringe. Ping me on msn if you want a copy .
Paulusworm Posted - 05/03/2009 : 17:11:34
They should go for them no problem. I'm gonna go speak to my lab tech tomorrow to see if I can pinch a jam jar of blowflies for Jo's gex.
Kazerella Posted - 05/03/2009 : 08:48:36
Hopefully I will see it- put I'm spending most of my time keeping my eye on the Axie spawn- I think they could pop any day

I just hope Cliff and Richard eat the flies, otherwise I might have 15 more pets to chase about the house
Paulusworm Posted - 04/03/2009 : 17:36:39
quote:

That's the plan- I'm going to put a few pupae in a small plastic container and cut a fly-sized hole in the lid. Then the flies should come out singly when they emerge.
It exercise the fattys anyway

Take a look at one as they emerge from the puparium. They have an airbag on the front of their head that they use to push the cap off. Makes them look like a f***ed up unicorn. Always makes me laugh when I see it
Kazerella Posted - 28/02/2009 : 21:01:42
That's the plan- I'm going to put a few pupae in a small plastic container and cut a fly-sized hole in the lid. Then the flies should come out singly when they emerge.
It exercise the fattys anyway
Paulusworm Posted - 28/02/2009 : 17:28:11
Let them emerge and make Cliff and Richard work for their dinner

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000