Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  11:15:04  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've read in a few amphibian books that maggots and flies are suitable food for hardy frogs and toads, so I went to buy some yesterday.

Brought my new brood home and went on the net to find out how to keep them. Turns out there are many mixed opinions on many forums about feeding maggots. Most say don't do it, while others say it's fine as long as your pet isn't passing them out undigested.

What to do? What to do? Shall I try the toads on them and see what happens or not risk it? They are Square-marked toads so are suitably robust.

I want to wait until they turn to flies, as I know these are safe, but I've loads of these maggots so don't need them all to turn. (Imagine if they escaped )

Any advice, ideas welcomed

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  20:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may remember I had a few of these things given me, and my fbt quite happily fed off them for a few days. I also put a few in with my whites.... They apparently eat a few, and some escaped and morphed into flies, some of which they probably caught and ate, some of which 'escaped' and I had to chase round the lounge a few times to let them out!!! Not something I would do on a regular basis I don't think, apart from the controversy as to if they are good for them or not..... just too much like excersise for me

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  09:11:49  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the main worry really- if I put them into the tank and Cliff and Richard are too lazy to catch them- then getting the flies out of the house would be a nightmare

I gave half my stash away yesterday anyway- Lewy's brother's girlfriend has some Koi carp so I gave her some as fish food.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2009 :  19:25:49  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi Kaz. Do you know what species of fly these maggots are? Reason for asking is the risk of miasis.

Miasis is when the maggots decide that they're not happy eating dead flesh and decide to chow down on living flesh instead. Some species are more prone to doing this than others. Where did you get the maggots from? If it was a bait shop then chances are they are Calliphorids of some type.

They will be fine as long as you know they are being eaten but I wouldn't leave them in there wandering around. I have some lovely pics of miasis victims if you want them .

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  13:16:25  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah get some sick photos up! We like decaying stuff

I got them from a bait shop and are about 1cm and long beigey white, but have started to pupate into orangey red cocoons.

Need to get rid of them really, before it's too late.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  17:28:11  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Let them emerge and make Cliff and Richard work for their dinner

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2009 :  21:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's the plan- I'm going to put a few pupae in a small plastic container and cut a fly-sized hole in the lid. Then the flies should come out singly when they emerge.
It exercise the fattys anyway

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  17:36:39  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

That's the plan- I'm going to put a few pupae in a small plastic container and cut a fly-sized hole in the lid. Then the flies should come out singly when they emerge.
It exercise the fattys anyway

Take a look at one as they emerge from the puparium. They have an airbag on the front of their head that they use to push the cap off. Makes them look like a f***ed up unicorn. Always makes me laugh when I see it

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  08:48:36  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hopefully I will see it- put I'm spending most of my time keeping my eye on the Axie spawn- I think they could pop any day

I just hope Cliff and Richard eat the flies, otherwise I might have 15 more pets to chase about the house

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  17:11:34  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They should go for them no problem. I'm gonna go speak to my lab tech tomorrow to see if I can pinch a jam jar of blowflies for Jo's gex.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  06:25:21  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah get some sick photos up! We like decaying stuff

OK. Here's a pretty tame one from wiki (don't look if you are remotely squeamish):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myiasis

I have an academic paper also that will definately make any men that you know cringe. Ping me on msn if you want a copy .

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  09:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Errrr! not the eyes

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  19:12:50  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:

Errrr! not the eyes

You asked .

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  09:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How long do they take to pupate Paul?

They've been in their cases for about a week now and have turned a dark reddy-brown colour now.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  17:26:50  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Depends on the average ambient temperature that they are being exposed to and which species they are. Let me know a rough idea of the temperatures and I'll look it up for you.

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2009 :  20:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cor... and I thought I had bags under my eyes!

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000