The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Feeding & Foods
 Culturing Livefood
 Earthworms

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
BlueTongueDan Posted - 28/01/2009 : 16:49:56
Ive decided to try my luck at breeding some Earthworms for my Mossy Frogs.
From what ive read, it seems they need it dark, cool and moist.
Now this could be a dumb question but, Anyone knows what earthworms eat?
Ive heard a few things now. Soil, Banana (fruit), stale bread.
Any help would be great
10   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 26/02/2009 : 09:06:41
So far they are fine- they like carrot and parsnip peelings a lot. Keep taking a few out for feeding to the big fella, but not really noticed any little wormeys yet. Hopefully they are breeding well under the surface
BlueTongueDan Posted - 25/02/2009 : 21:50:07
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

We've made one out of an old bin. Collected about 30-40 worms so far so letting them get jiggy to make more before using them properly.

We have place the bin in the garden with an old piece of carpet on the top to allow rain water to soak through and keep it damp, but stop birds and rats from getting in to eat the worms or the rotting veg.

Hope it goes well

Great.
Definatly keep us updated on how it goes
Kazerella Posted - 21/02/2009 : 16:13:12
We've made one out of an old bin. Collected about 30-40 worms so far so letting them get jiggy to make more before using them properly.

We have place the bin in the garden with an old piece of carpet on the top to allow rain water to soak through and keep it damp, but stop birds and rats from getting in to eat the worms or the rotting veg.

Hope it goes well
Jain Posted - 01/02/2009 : 13:40:02
Oooerrr.... I've just chucked mine outside in a plastic tub with veggie peelings and a loose lid on top... froggies were not eating them anyway....!!! maybe theyre too small yet, or worms were too big!!
Kazerella Posted - 31/01/2009 : 17:03:41
I want a wormery!
Paulusworm Posted - 29/01/2009 : 21:21:10
lol.

They usually eat leaf litter. I think you can make a worm farm from a lemonade bottle, soil, sand and leaf litter. They made one on CBeebies a while back. I think you layer it up the bottle.

Edit: Just found this website

http://www.ecofriendlykids.co.uk/WatchingWormsWorkWormFarm.html
matty18714 Posted - 29/01/2009 : 16:02:12
quote:
Originally posted by lewy

Apparently they do well in compost bins (and help with the composting too) That's where we're thinking of starting our culture.

Good luck finding culture up north
Kazerella Posted - 29/01/2009 : 09:39:47
We don't need to start a culture Lewy- the compost bin is already full of them

(you would know that if you ever took the compost bin out)
lewy Posted - 28/01/2009 : 17:16:55
Apparently they do well in compost bins (and help with the composting too) That's where we're thinking of starting our culture.
BlueTongueDan Posted - 28/01/2009 : 16:56:02
So a little more research and ive found that they like to eat chicken mash, either chick starter or laying mash.

Some pretty helpful info here if anyone is interested.
http://www.nyworms.com/ecare.htm

Edit: Bit more.

quote:
Food: Add about a quart of food scraps per square foot of surface area in your bin per week. Worms eat fruit and vegetable scraps, pasta, bread, cooked beans, and other kitchen leftovers. Worms love coffee grounds and filters, tea bags, paper towels, and napkins. Eggshells provide calcium and the hard particles help them to digest their food. To avoid fruit flies and odors, always bury the food just below the surface of the bedding.

In order to prevent foul odors and to not attract other animals - NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE WORM BIN, INCLUDING CHEESE, OIL, BONES, AND MEAT.

Taken from http://www.deckerwormsales.com/earthwormcare.htm

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000