New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueTongueDan
The Amphibian Moderator

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  16:49:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive decided to try my luck at breeding some Earthworms for my Mossy Frogs.
From what ive read, it seems they need it dark, cool and moist.
Now this could be a dumb question but, Anyone knows what earthworms eat?
Ive heard a few things now. Soil, Banana (fruit), stale bread.
Any help would be great

BlueTongueDan
The Amphibian Moderator

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  16:56:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So a little more research and ive found that they like to eat chicken mash, either chick starter or laying mash.

Some pretty helpful info here if anyone is interested.
http://www.nyworms.com/ecare.htm

Edit: Bit more.

quote:
Food: Add about a quart of food scraps per square foot of surface area in your bin per week. Worms eat fruit and vegetable scraps, pasta, bread, cooked beans, and other kitchen leftovers. Worms love coffee grounds and filters, tea bags, paper towels, and napkins. Eggshells provide calcium and the hard particles help them to digest their food. To avoid fruit flies and odors, always bury the food just below the surface of the bedding.

In order to prevent foul odors and to not attract other animals - NO ANIMAL PRODUCTS SHOULD BE ADDED TO THE WORM BIN, INCLUDING CHEESE, OIL, BONES, AND MEAT.

Taken from http://www.deckerwormsales.com/earthwormcare.htm

Edited by - BlueTongueDan on 28/01/2009 16:59:56
Go to Top of Page

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  17:16:55  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Apparently they do well in compost bins (and help with the composting too) That's where we're thinking of starting our culture.

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  09:39:47  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't need to start a culture Lewy- the compost bin is already full of them

(you would know that if you ever took the compost bin out)

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Wanna be 'Dude of Dampness'

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  16:02:12  Show Profile  Click to see matty18714's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewy

Apparently they do well in compost bins (and help with the composting too) That's where we're thinking of starting our culture.

Good luck finding culture up north

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  21:21:10  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
lol.

They usually eat leaf litter. I think you can make a worm farm from a lemonade bottle, soil, sand and leaf litter. They made one on CBeebies a while back. I think you layer it up the bottle.

Edit: Just found this website

http://www.ecofriendlykids.co.uk/WatchingWormsWorkWormFarm.html

Edited by - Paulusworm on 29/01/2009 21:29:42
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  17:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I want a wormery!

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2009 :  13:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooerrr.... I've just chucked mine outside in a plastic tub with veggie peelings and a loose lid on top... froggies were not eating them anyway....!!! maybe theyre too small yet, or worms were too big!!

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2009 :  16:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've made one out of an old bin. Collected about 30-40 worms so far so letting them get jiggy to make more before using them properly.

We have place the bin in the garden with an old piece of carpet on the top to allow rain water to soak through and keep it damp, but stop birds and rats from getting in to eat the worms or the rotting veg.

Hope it goes well

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
The Amphibian Moderator

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2009 :  21:50:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

We've made one out of an old bin. Collected about 30-40 worms so far so letting them get jiggy to make more before using them properly.

We have place the bin in the garden with an old piece of carpet on the top to allow rain water to soak through and keep it damp, but stop birds and rats from getting in to eat the worms or the rotting veg.

Hope it goes well

Great.
Definatly keep us updated on how it goes

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2009 :  09:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So far they are fine- they like carrot and parsnip peelings a lot. Keep taking a few out for feeding to the big fella, but not really noticed any little wormeys yet. Hopefully they are breeding well under the surface

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000