The Amphibian Forum
The Amphibian Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Frogs & Toads - (Anura)
 Toads
 Fire belly toads and others

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sirmxracer Posted - 19/06/2010 : 23:16:24
We have received a large terrarium from my sons school, it has all kinds of creatures sharing the habitat and doing well. My question as I'm trying to learn about these guys. We have 3 small red eared slider turtles, Green tree frogs, Anoles of various types, fish and lots of planted areas and a water fall. Living with them is 2 Fire belley toads, all over these forumns it says that their toxins will harm or kill the other turtles, frogs, lizards etc. It appears that there has never been an issue, should I remove the Toads? We will move the turtles as they get big enough to try and eat the frogs into our outside pond. Thanks for input.
3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 22/06/2010 : 11:49:33
They secrete it- that's why it's important to change the water regulary when keeping FBTs- they can even poison themselves
sirmxracer Posted - 21/06/2010 : 17:37:00
Thanks for the reply, I will add photo this evening,Everything seams ok as far as getting along, the tree frogs anoles hang out the turtles, dont go after the fish, but they are small, the fire bellys seam to keep to themselves. Do the fire bellys only become toxic when threatened or do they always secrete toxins? Thanks.
Kazerella Posted - 21/06/2010 : 11:13:43
I think if it was me I would seperate anything, except maybe the green tree frogs and the anoles if space is tight.

Fire bellied toads do carry toxins, and should be kept alone really, but fish and turtles can also transmit parasites and diseases to other creatures.

Have you got any pictures? It would be interesting to see how it's set up

The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000