New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sirmxracer
Pondweed

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2010 :  23:16:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have received a large terrarium from my sons school, it has all kinds of creatures sharing the habitat and doing well. My question as I'm trying to learn about these guys. We have 3 small red eared slider turtles, Green tree frogs, Anoles of various types, fish and lots of planted areas and a water fall. Living with them is 2 Fire belley toads, all over these forumns it says that their toxins will harm or kill the other turtles, frogs, lizards etc. It appears that there has never been an issue, should I remove the Toads? We will move the turtles as they get big enough to try and eat the frogs into our outside pond. Thanks for input.

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  11:13:43  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think if it was me I would seperate anything, except maybe the green tree frogs and the anoles if space is tight.

Fire bellied toads do carry toxins, and should be kept alone really, but fish and turtles can also transmit parasites and diseases to other creatures.

Have you got any pictures? It would be interesting to see how it's set up

Go to Top of Page

sirmxracer
Pondweed

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2010 :  17:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply, I will add photo this evening,Everything seams ok as far as getting along, the tree frogs anoles hang out the turtles, dont go after the fish, but they are small, the fire bellys seam to keep to themselves. Do the fire bellys only become toxic when threatened or do they always secrete toxins? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2010 :  11:49:33  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They secrete it- that's why it's important to change the water regulary when keeping FBTs- they can even poison themselves

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000