Feeding Fish.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2009 :  17:03:18  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Are there any fish that I should avoid feeding to an Axy or is it just an "anything that will fit in its gob" scenario?

Spend_day
Pondweed

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  09:47:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you shouldnt feed fish high in thiaminase as it does something weird to there vitamin B1 intake or something, i hear minnows are good feeders
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2009 :  10:54:31  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just Wiki'd it. It's an enzyme that breaks down vitamin B1. If they comsume it the B1 gets broken down before the Axy has a chance to use it. Bang goes my idea of buying a Goldfish from time to time. Carp are high in it. Not sure if they sell Minnows in any of the fish shops around here. I'll do a bit of phylogenetic research and see what's the closest I can get from the aquarium shop.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2009 :  22:10:15  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We've got a breeding pair of african land snails. Can I feed the newly hatched ones to an Axy?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  12:40:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure about the snails- should be alright I would think.

I wouldn't feed goldfish though anyway. Apparently they carry a lot of parasites.

Go to Top of Page

Spend_day
Pondweed

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2009 :  13:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

We've got a breeding pair of african land snails. Can I feed the newly hatched ones to an Axy?

my newts ate an aquatic snail and i once fed a snail to my tiger sal (both were CB not ones from outside) and neither are dead. so it should be fine. and u know what they say verity is the spice of life
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000