Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rosalee
Pondweed

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  12:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi

ive just joined forum.. I have just got an axolotl have tank sorted etc.

i know i am probubaly gonna get told off here but i ordred it of a breeder and it is ok condition

it just smaller than i expected tiny in fact about 3 cm i'm told it takes blood worm.

what i want to know id do i just drop the blood worm in the tank also how often should i feed it.

thanks rosalee

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  18:47:23  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hiya Rosalee and welcome to the forum.
Have a looky on the care sheet here: http://www.theamphibian.co.uk/axolotl_care_sheet_Ambystoma_mexicanum.htm

That should give you some info, until members with axies appear as well.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  09:44:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I just got an Axy on Sunday who is a little smaller than yours. Ive been feeding him once a day with frozen bloodworm. I chop a cube in half, defrost it then drop it in. The pet shop told me I dont have to defrost it, its just personal prefance so Im going to try it frozen today and see if he takes it. The breeder told me to give him some variety so Im getting some daphnia soon and will alternate.

Also, I only give him as much as he can eat in 10 mins, and remove anything he leaves so the water doesnt get polluted.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you get any more advice as Im new to caring for axies too!

Edited by - Sam88 on 17/08/2010 09:46:27
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  11:03:38  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Earthworms are a favourite, but found they would eat anything I give them that's the right size. Just chop up the earthworms if they are too big.

Daphnia is good for the small ones, as well as bloodworm. They can also have brine shrimp, but you have to wash them well to ensure you get all the salt water off before feeding.

Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2010 :  20:32:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I feed him worms from my garden? We have a patio but they are always coming out of the gaps inbetween the paving slabs after it rains. Will there be a risk of them being contaminated with chemicals from other peoples gardens?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  09:34:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You do need to be careful, but if you garden is chemical free and you choose your digging spot wisely you can dig some up.

We normally keep the worms in a tub with some clean eco-earth for a few weeks before feeding so that if they have ingested something bad they have time to pass it.

But you can also buy earthworms from fishing bait shops if you prefer.

Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  11:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. I think Im going to look into setting up a wormery as I only have a patio and can only get at the worms when they come out of the cracks. Thats ok at the moment as its been so wet they are always coming up but wont be so good in the summer or when its frosty in the winter. Will also be able to be sure that they are chemical free!
Go to Top of Page

raven76
Pondweed

Sweden
32 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  12:37:05  Show Profile  Visit raven76's Homepage  Send raven76 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I live in an appartment so no where to dig for worms lol so I get my worms at the bait shop ... my petshop actually started selling them too but I only get 10 worms there for the same price as I get 30 at the bait shop.. A wormery sounds really cool! Would like to hear about your set up if you decide to do it
Go to Top of Page

nikk
Frog Spawn

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2010 :  18:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been thinking same thing about raising my own worms since it is fall here in the states. All summer I get them by laying a board down on my brick patio and watering under it everyday. No need to dig, just lift the board and there they are for the taking!! But in winter I too have to purchase them from bait shop and I always wonder how nutricious they are. I would love to raise them myself during winter inside. Please dont tell my wife this, after the cricket "incident". LOL
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  15:15:02  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did a bit of research for a care sheet a while ago and apparrently breeding colonies take years to get going.

It is possible though

Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:50:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've just started feeding my Mums axi earthworms 2 days ago and he loves them! Hes still only little so I have to chop them up which my Mum wont do so he'l only be getting them when Im around til he gets big enough to eat them whole. Was so exiting to watch him catch the little wriggling peices of worm!

The guy in the bait shop told me to get an icecream tub and make some drainage holes in the bottom, fill it with peat then find some worms to go in there. He said they will stay where the soil is best so would even work to just have a place in the garden with really good soil, put a plastic sheet over (that retains the heat and attracts worms) and then check under there for worms. He said that worms dont usually travel very far so if you dont use chemicals then they wont have any in their system.

Probobly gonna see how that method works this winter and then see if its worth trying to make a wormery.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  16:23:02  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds good- I've heard the plastic sheet method before, so it must be quite productive. Plus it should help you attract slow worms too, which is no good for axie food, but still coll to have in your garden anyway

Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  00:06:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive got quite big pebbles in the bottom of my tank. Anyone got any ideas on how to feed my axie bloodworms without them all falling through the pebbles? Im having trouble finding earthworms now its not raining all the time (not had time to set up the wormery yet) and have 2 whole packs of frozen bloodworms to get through!
Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  10:23:02  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've seen some people feed in a glass jar (like a jam jar) to keep down mess etc. that may work.
Ideally whilst your axie is still very small you shouldn't use stones or sand etc. just the glass bottom, it makes cleaning easier it should stop ammonia build up on and under the stones. You'll have less of a problem keeping the tank clean... it'll make it easier for your axie to get to his food too.

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Sam88
Pondweed

20 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  22:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I tried just having a bare bottomed tank after he ate some gravel. I've put the big pebbles in now he seems to have passed all the gravel. He didnt seem to like the bare glass tank. He kept sliding around all over the place and he seemed to find it difficult to get his food as he couldnt aim for it properly because of his slippery floor!

ive made a little space in a corner where there are no pebbles just glass andput his food there yesterday which seemed to work. Hopefully going to be hand feeding him bits of earthworm once I've sorted my wormery out.

With the jamjar, would you put the jar in on its side so he can just crawl in and get the food? Might try that if my method of creating a little space doesnt work.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  12:03:44  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
or you could use a small dish instead of a jam jar

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000