Yellow-bellied toads "getting married"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

longwing
Pondweed

3 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  15:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello! I am new here, just joined to gain some information about the 2 yellow bellied toads I look after. I work in a museum of zoology where we keep White's tree frogs, another strange stripy tree frog which sometimes appears but is usually hidden, and 2 YBTs. In the past we have had fire bellies but couldn't get hold of them this time.

They're doing well and we've had them a year now. It appears to be a male and a female - if it's anything like our native toads, where the female is bigger and wartier. There is a big difference in size and wartiness in the toads. The wee male has over the past 3 days been mounting and clasping his fingers around the huge female, and they've just been going around like this for a while. I'm wondering - the FBTs in the past have spawned in our tank. Is the breeding of the YBTs pretty much the same, as in they spawn within 3 days of mating, remove the spawn and keep it in a dechlorinated water tank? I'm trying to find breeding info on YBTs but it's all about the blooming fire bellies. It also seems strange to me that these toads have latched onto each other and don't come apart very often.

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2010 :  10:47:31  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think it is very similar breeding wise, so if you've had success with FBTS then you should be alright.

Go to Top of Page

raven76
Pondweed

Sweden
32 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2010 :  14:32:50  Show Profile  Visit raven76's Homepage  Send raven76 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
hi longwing

since you have no contact info if you want to contact me privetly I have some info on your question about forums you should be able to get my email on the profile ..
Go to Top of Page

longwing
Pondweed

3 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2010 :  22:13:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi raven76, your email address isn't on your profile (or I can't find it) and the email me button doesn't seem to work on my computer. You can email me at imprinted_eagle@hotmail.com that would be great! I went away for 2 weeks and when I came back I asked about the toads and if they'd spawned. My boss said no, they hadn't...I looked in the tank later and there were loads of wee tadpoles AND spawn!! I've fished most of them out into a tank with lots more water. There's still some in the tank but I can't get them out and anyway, they might do better in there. There's more algae and the water is shallower. I've given both some fish food and they eat it occasionally. Since I did that a few days ago, some more spawn has hatched and the taddies coming out are TINY! They're about half (if not a third) the size of the first ones I found in the tank. So I reckon the oldest ones are probably about 2 weeks old.
Go to Top of Page

raven76
Pondweed

Sweden
32 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  11:54:43  Show Profile  Visit raven76's Homepage  Send raven76 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
ahhh congratulations on the little tadpoles... thanks for the email I sent you off a little message taday.. have a great weekend
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2010 :  09:14:44  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
How they doing Longwing?

Are they developing well?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000