Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  20:19:00  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've started our second culture of mealies. Hopefully this one will be more successful than the first.

We've fed them on some carrot and potato peelings. They love them!

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2008 :  20:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We've also put some oats in with them too, but they don't seem as popular as the peelings.

Fingers crossed for us!

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2008 :  16:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with this one... I put oats and corn flakes in with my live ones, and occassionally bread, as well as potato... they seem to like it

Ok... next daft question... I got some mini mealies from shop, and also some next size up ones.... are all mealies same, just bigger ones grown on more, or do they come in s,m and large sizes???

someone recently told me that a lot of ones the pet shops sell are sprayed with something to stop them mutating, and therefore is difficult to create your own live food cultures... anyone else heard of this??... cheers J

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2008 :  20:48:38  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not heard of that- I'll ask Lewy if he knows about the spraying.
I know the first lot turned into beetles and did the deed, but we had to chuck them before we got babies because of the mite infestation. I'll have to do some more research.

I would think that the smaller mealies are just at different stages of the life cycle, but who knows, They could be bred that way.

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2009 :  20:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay.... I've found a few 'aliens' in my mealies.... Have seperated them, but not sure if they will do much...

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2009 :  10:18:09  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed they will

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  18:45:09  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Not heard of that- I'll ask Lewy if he knows about the spraying.
I know the first lot turned into beetles and did the deed, but we had to chuck them before we got babies because of the mite infestation. I'll have to do some more research.

I would think that the smaller mealies are just at different stages of the life cycle, but who knows, They could be bred that way.

Spraying to prevent mating:
The trick with getting your bugs to "have a special cuddle " is to get the conditions right. Some will only mate after a downpour of rain. It is literally that simple. This might help a bit http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meal_worm
The temps quoted look about right to me. General rule of thumb is that if the temp is a bit higher or lower it only affects the hatching / growth time.

Mini-me Meal worms:
The smaller ones are just a little less mature. You do however get a few "runts". These are as mature as their siblings but haven't had it quite as good as the big ones.

Mite infestation:
Two ways to prevent this. Expensive way is to invest in a bug dorm similar to the ones that I use in the growth rooms / lab. The cheaper alternative is a small plastic fish tank (cost about a fiver) and a pair of Tesco Value ladies tights (old-lady brown ones).

Nasty/Gross:
If you thought your Tenebrio spp. colony was gross then check this out.

That's the blowfly colony that I recently used for my research project. They're all sitting on microscope slides in very thin slices now . Dead easy to set up and maintain but takes the concept of smelly to an entirely new level .

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  19:31:55  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They look awful- glad Cliff and Richard don't have those on their menus

I think you are well suited to the amphibian forum Paul, more opportunity to talk about creepy crawlies on here than on the snakey sites

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  20:18:03  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
That liver the maggots were feeding on was about 5 days old in that pic and had been in a growth room at 22 to 24 degrees C for the whole time. It was there for about 3 weeks in total by the time I had finished rearing the maggots. Just before the maggots pupated the liver was pulsating like a heart which was quite un-nerving .

Forensic Entomology is what I do at the Uni so if you ever need any advice on bug rearing and pest prevention then I'm your man. I'm always happy to help cos BUGS ROCK!!!!

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Wanna be 'Dude of Dampness'

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  20:59:55  Show Profile  Click to see matty18714's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

cos BUGS ROCK!!!!

Loser

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  21:44:29  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matty18714

quote:
Originally posted by Paulusworm

cos BUGS ROCK!!!!

Loser

you're just jealous cos I get to play with dead things .

Go to Top of Page

matty18714
Wanna be 'Dude of Dampness'

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2009 :  21:52:28  Show Profile  Click to see matty18714's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am a bit, but if I really had an urge I could play with a frozen rat

Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  11:30:15  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Paulsworm - You remind me of Gil Grisom on CSI wasn't he a Forensic Entomologist? He likes bugs too

Oh and what are the pair of Tesco Value ladies tights for?

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2009 :  19:18:33  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes- I love Gil Grisholm, he's my favourite C.S.I

Paulusworm- you don't need to add maggots and leave liver for days to make it awful- it's nasty anyway

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2009 :  18:11:29  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewy

Paulsworm - You remind me of Gil Grisom on CSI wasn't he a Forensic Entomologist? He likes bugs too

Oh and what are the pair of Tesco Value ladies tights for?

My mum calls me that. Keep an eye on CSI cos in the not too distant future you'll see them using the results of my research project. It's going massive. I've just been referenced for the first time (aaarrrggghh it's getting scary and sensible ) by a PhD student at the uni who's carrying on the project when I leave. I got offered the chance to do my PhD with it but can't afford to. Gutted !

The ladies tights are to keep the parasites out. If you cut a leg off the tights and put the tank in it then they can't get at your colony. the trick is to keep the tights tight enough to allow air circulation, spraying, etc but also loose enough so that the holes are too small for the parasites to get in. If you use one of the £5 plastic fish tanks the leg of the tights should fit the top of it just right. I'll have a look for some pics of my old fruit fly colony.

Alternatively you could put them on and freak Kaz out completely .

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2009 :  21:12:27  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lewy's an ex-goth. It really wouldn't surprise me if he had some tights in his drawer already. He's got a purple pvc skirt he used to wear.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000