Wood lice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  05:25:06  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a new culture!

We decided to do some major demolition work in our conservatory type area and pulled the of wood off the walls and found loads of woodlice behind the panels! We collected them up for a free meal for Cliff and Richard, but found more and more so have a tub full.

Just wondered how was the best way to keep them living and hopefully breeding? Do they actually eat dead wood or is there something else we need to give them to keep them healthy?

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2009 :  11:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Where's Gil Grisham when you need him?

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  11:20:42  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
oh no, half of them have died already. Not very good with these cultures are we?

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
The Amphibian Moderator

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  17:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im sure i read somewhere that someone puts woolice in with Tarantulas, something to do with them keeping it clean by eating something or other :S

Good luck :D

Go to Top of Page

Jain
Tadpole

188 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  19:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woodlice live in damp woody area's so if they come inside the house, they tend to live in dark dampish places (under the bath is a common place to find a few)

I believe they feed on things like rotting wood / bark / leaf litter etc., and don't like light, which is why they are always hidden away in cracks and crevices.... we used to have loads in our shed when I was young, and my grandad used to make me leave them well enough alone, cos he said they were beneficial to the environment (whilst I on the other hand was considered a pest to both environment and grandad.... lol)... so if any are still alive, go get some leaf litter from outside and bits of wood from where you found them, and keep their tub dampish..... J
PS.. not sure if springtails are of the same family as woodlice, and they are considered beneficial to have in living vivariums in so far as I know... J

If I had a brain, I'd be dangerous......
Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  17:12:21  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just build yourself a wood-pile in a sheltered part the garden. You'll soon have your own little, private, self sustaining bug supermarket.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/breathingplaces/doonething/index_all.shtml

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  12:06:50  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Probably a very good idea, because I've noticed having bugs in the house stinks! Especially crickets. They pong!

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  06:05:03  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Mine always go in the garage at the other end of the garden. The smell doesn't bother us it's the bloody racket they make when we're trying to watch the telly .

Edit: p.s. If you've got a composter in the garden you'll get loads in there too. Compost your waste fruit in it and you'll also get loads of fruit flies as well .

Edited by - Paulusworm on 18/01/2009 08:47:40
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  14:42:18  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have two compost bins but was going to ask if things in there are alright to get out? You would think they have had a good diet anyway.

(not sure if I mentioned the compost in the Field Plankton thread)

The other thing is eartyh worms, do you need to flush them out with good soil before you feed them or can they be eaten straight from the garden?

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  21:58:44  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure about the earthworms. I know my mate had to soak them before he ate them when he did his survival training in the mob. YUK !

Go to Top of Page

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  13:58:16  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
check out this article for woodlice culture
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.cann/articles/woodlice.html

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  14:43:48  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link Punkman.

Might try again to get the culture going.

Go to Top of Page

BlueTongueDan
The Amphibian Moderator

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  16:44:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if you can culture woodlice and earthworms in the same container?
Im definatly thinking about trying earthworms, haveing woodlice as well would be a bonue.

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  09:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure, but earthworms need a lot of soil and woodlice are more damp wood based.

They both like the dark though

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000