pacman tank not hot enough
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Darrren
Pondweed

2 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  17:20:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ive got a problem getting the heat up in my exo terra cube. I bought it today as i had my baby pacman in a fish tank and had the same problem but i read on the web that theyre not very well insulated or ventilated so i thought id just go and buy the exo terra. Well i have my thermostat probe touching the glass floor of the tank behind the polysteryne type background. Problem is during the day (same issue using fish tank) the thermostat will not shut off and my little stick on guage only reads around 72fahrenheight. Any ideas what the problem is?? the top of teh tank is just mesh and im using a thin layer of substrate to try and get it warmer. Its warmer than the fish tank but still not warm enough to **** off the thermostat. Im afraid of risking a fire in the house and not providing adequate temperature for my pacman. Can sombody help please, thankyou.
i am using an undertank heat mat.

lewy
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2010 :  10:51:36  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Darren,

Okay this is what I do for my pacman setup:

Pacman frogs are burrowing frogs so they dig down if you put the heat mat on the bottom you run the risk of burning your frog. (even with a stat)
Place the heatmat on the side of the exoterra and put polystyrene on the outside to reflect the heat from the mat back in.
You can place a mat on the bottom to aid humidity, but I'd only advise this if you have a layer of hydroleccia (clay balls) and it is topped up the to thw substrate level with water (chlorine free) the heat

Here is my setup: http://www.theamphibian.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=42 - with mat underneath (to aid humidity) but the frog can still bury down to the weed barrier without coming anywhere near the mat.

I also have a heat mat on the side (with polystyrene heat reflector) to bring up the ambient air temps. This setup has kept temperatures perfect since It's been running ( a few years now) The light is on a timer which aids with heating a little during the day too.

make sure the probe for the thermostat is attached to the mat on the side a (Between the mat and the heat reflector). The one underneath will need a separate stat buried in the substrate over the mat (but not fully submersed) you can a just the stat as needed to get the temps correct.

Hope this helps

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page

Darrren
Pondweed

2 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2010 :  11:20:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my coco board in though the post from cornishcrispa. Im using aquarium sealant to bond it to the tank as i tihnk this is the safest option i could find. Im not using the hydroleca so should i still put a board on the bottom with substrate straight on top or will this make it rot?? Ill be moving the heatmat onto the side aswell and im going to try and get a compact canopy for my tank to keep more heat it. Only question, will the tank get hot or will the coco board keep the heat out??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000