New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Amphibizoid
Pondweed

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  09:23:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at getting a pair or trio of Amazon Milk Frogs and want to construct a very, very natural enviroment for them.

I have created a tank with a false bottom for drainage and the water supply there is a 1.5 - 2 inch pool in the center middle of the tank.

I want to create some form of water feature (ie a river/stream or waterfall) that finishes in the pool.

Any ideas on best materials and construction methods to use to create such a feature

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

Live life to the full or dont bother living it at all......

Kehhlyr
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  00:39:16  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I believe that people have used things like tiling grout in the past, either shaped around polystyrene, or used to hold stones/slate together.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

Amphibizoid
Pondweed

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2011 :  12:10:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kehhlyr,

Thanks for the reply...

I have seen some how-to's and videos where people have used expanding foam and then covered it with clear epoxy resin and sand mix.

wouldnt this be toxic for the darts?

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  02:48:29  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Not sure to be honest.
I haven't the foggiest what the chemical makeup is of those and if there are toxic substances in them. I'd imagine that a quick email to the makers and you'd be able to find out what the risk to aquatic life is.
Or do what I have done in the past, get the (usually) freephone number off the packets that state "got a question then phone...." and give a buzz and ask.
I know that Darts don't strictly come under the aquatic category, but being 'phibs it should give a rough guide to start from.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

Amphibizoid
Pondweed

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  07:51:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I didnt think of doing that...

I will do that and post back here what i find out.

Thanks

Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2011 :  14:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When we were building up a background for our sals we used aquarium silicone to hold things together. That's defintiely not toxic to 'phibs.

I think with expanding form wouldn't it be the fumes that may cause problems? If so, I'm guessing that if you leave it a few weeks for it to totally dry and the fumes to dissipate you may be alright.

Go to Top of Page

Paulusworm
Gill Grissom - Resident 'Bug-Man'

United Kingdom
101 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2011 :  08:53:02  Show Profile  Click to see Paulusworm's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have seen a couple of how to's where they have used a cork bark tube cut in half lengthways for the stream bed.

Regarding expanding foam, my understanding from my days in the boat building business is that once it has fully expanded and "gone off" all of the harmful chemicals have pretty much evaporated away. The only advice I would add would be to run the heating in the uninhabited set-up for a week or so to ensure that all fumes have gone.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000