New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Midnight
Pondweed

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  08:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone here breed crickets? If so, how do you do it?

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  16:08:43  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've only managed it once, and the best way I've found is to keep a tub of damp eco-earth in there with them. The females have somewhere to lay their eggs then.

http://www.theamphibian.co.uk/crickets_live_food_care_sheet.htm

Not really tried properly though, that was a fluke. Creepy crawlies don't last very long in our house. Too many things want to eat them :0)

Go to Top of Page

Midnight
Pondweed

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  11:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Kazerella,it does sound difficult to breed crickets. I think I'll go on buying them.
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  10:26:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It is definitely worth a try though, like I said I only put a damp tub of soil in and got results.

Worth leaving one in anyway, just in case. They may even drink from the damp substrate, so could make them live a bit longer too.

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr

United Kingdom
264 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  23:03:09  Show Profile  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Has anyone tried roachs with their 'phibs??
It's a lot easier (and less smelly) to have a nice dubia roach colony and if your frogs eat them could make things a lot easier.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon
SOME OF MY ANIMALS

]
Go to Top of Page

lewy

United Kingdom
1356 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  13:59:08  Show Profile  Visit lewy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree dubias are great if your phibs will take them. Our whites and love them, richard (Squar marked toad) isn't as keen. The mighty Alberto will eat anything... fingers included.
Dubia roaches are really easy to set up, keep and breed as well. various stages of the life cycle will do various size frogs too

Lewy

THE AMPHIBIAN.co.uk Team

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000