Field Plankton
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2009 :  05:31:32  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been reading again (very dangerous past time mi'thinks) and this author suggests that field plankton (insects collected from the wild) are better for your captive amphibians because they are already naturally gut loaded with a nice diet, whereas shop bought ones need their nutritional value boosted up before you serve them.

Just wondered though (I think I am just being wary because coming from a snake keeper view- we never feed wild caught mice to our pets because they carry disease and parasites but) is there a risk of passing owt on to your amphibians from wild caught insects or don't they carry things the same as wild mice do?

Plus, how do you know what insects are safe for your amphibians to eat? Can they eat anything insecty? Cliff and Richard would naturally come from Africa and Cyprus in the wild, so I'm sure their natural prey would differ from anything I could collect in sunny Barnsley.

What does everyone think?

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  15:19:37  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've found out that if you do get stuff from the wild it must be from a chemical free garden/field.

and the research goes on....

Go to Top of Page

punkman
Tadpole

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  16:38:09  Show Profile  Visit punkman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
yep,just try make sure insects are collected from a pesticide free area and you have some good nutritional food items for your amphib friends.
Through the warmer months, small grey-white slugs collected from my garden are a favoured food of my fire sals, then when I have newly metamorphosed, terrestrial newts that Ive ive raised from eggs, I find wild caught insects an invaluable addition to the pinhead crickets , sprintails and fruitflies I use.

LOVE PUNK-HATE RACISM
HATE HOMOPHOBIA.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFOBdoWLnRI&feature=PlayList&p=3899DB3A44FFDD8D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2

htpp://punkradiocast.com
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  10:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm still planning on getting some big fat earthworms out of the garden soon- it will be a nice treat for the toads

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000