New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Spend_day
Pondweed

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  15:11:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK so I know of a few people who house there tigers in groups and I'm considering making a tiger salamander set-up with 2 or 3 in it.

But first (as always) I have some questions

1. Would 48"x12"x18" (LxWxH) be big enough for 3 tiger salamanders? (I'm fairly sure it will I just want conformation)
2. I currently have 1 female A, tigrinum. Now I've asked my local reptile shop to find out the species of tiger salamanders they can order in, and I know a couple other shops in my area can get A, mavortium, (please I don’t want a massive debate) can these 2 species be housed together? I know they were for a long time considered 1 species, I'm also aware of the general risks of housing tigers together, but are there any more risks or an increased risk i should be aware of with putting these 2 species together? has any1 had any experience with housing these 2 species together.
3. Can people tell me there experience’s housing tigers together?
4. Any pictures of set-ups?

thanks

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  15:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure actually. Do they have similar care requirements?

Go to Top of Page

Spend_day
Pondweed

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2009 :  16:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

I'm not sure actually. Do they have similar care requirements?

Yes they have exactly the same care and over lapping geological ranges (this has lead to wide spread interbreeding in the wild)

till recently (1993 i think) they were considered one species (they were orginally ambystoma tigrinum tigrinum and ambystoma tigrinum mavortium) there was another big taxonomy shuffle in 97 (i think) where a few subspecies were moved from one species to another and 2 more tiger salamander species were listed Mexican tiger salamander (Ambystoma velasci)& California tiger salamander (Ambystoma californiense). this is why if you walk into a pet shop and ask what species of tiger salamander they stock your likely to get a funny look as most dont realise there are even different species.

currently (as far as i know) there are 4 fully fleged species of tiger salamander

The Eastern Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma Tigrinum) (no real subspecies but it still retains the full scientific name of Ambystoma Tigrinum Tigrinum)

The Barred Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma Mavortium) (has several subspecies)

The California Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma Californiense) (I don't know about any subspecies)

Mexican Tiger Salamander (Ambystoma Velasci) (again with the not knowing of species species info)

Edited by - Spend_day on 05/03/2009 16:01:30
Go to Top of Page

Kazerella
The Amphibian Administrator

United Kingdom
969 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  10:13:01  Show Profile  Visit Kazerella's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well if they require the same set up, then I can't see why not. Especially if they inter-breed in the wild anyway.

Only think I can think of is feeding, just make sure they aren't competing for food otherwise the lone species might get bullied by the other two.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Amphibian Forum © 2000-08 The Amphibian.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000